About Our Organisation
UK SMART Recovery (UKSR) is a registered charity which promoted choice in recovery through a national network of mutual-aid meetings and online training programme with comprehensive teaching materials and manuals. Our Programme teaches rational, easy to learn and self-empowering skills to help participants abstain from any addictive behaviour and to develop a lifestyle that supports sustained recovery.
To empower people with practical skills, tools and support so that they may manage their addictive behaviour and lead satisfying and meaningful lives.
* People make a choice to engage in addictive behaviours and can make a choice to stop.
* Everyone has the power of choice and can choose to change unhelpful or harmful behaviours.
* People are not their behaviours so stigmatising language like ‘addict’ and ‘alcoholic’ is not used.
* People seeking recovery are empowered to choose what works best for them from a ‘tool box’ of methods demonstrated in meetings and also available online and in manuals.
* Participants are free to engage with any other services or mutual-aid groups which they find helpful; there is no one path to recovery.
* Once a healthy, positive and balanced lifestyle is achieved participants are free to move on and pursue other goals in life. Some may choose to volunteer and train to become Meeting Facilitators.
Through our Partnership Scheme we work with most medium to large treatment providers across the UK as well as prisons, probation, rehab facilities, NHS and supported housing services. SMART Recovery Champions have helped to grow peer led SMART Recovery meetings, which in turn has helped their service users sustain the recovery gains they achieve within the treatment services.
Find out more