Summary of the Facilitator's role
This is a summary of the SMART Recovery facilitators role.
Setting up a meeting
- Finding a suitable location.
- Registering the meeting.
- Promoting the meeting.
- Procuring flipchart paper and pens.
- Keeping in touch with Participants and SMART Recovery.
- Supporting the local recovery community.
- Recruiting meeting helpers.
- Handling money.
- Delegating treasurer duties to look after money.
- Delegating admin duties to provide a point of contact help with premises and so on.
- Managing the rota of the meeting phone and handle enquiries.
- Sourcing SMART Recovery meeting materials for participants.
- Liaising with local treatment provider services, social services, GP clinics and so on.
- Readying meeting room: Arranging chairs, flipchart and laying out SMART materials.
- Meeting and greeting participants.
- Providing SMART Recovery materials.
- Displaying or handing out the meeting guidelines at every meeting.
- Reading out or asking someone else to read out the opening statement at every meeting.
- Tidying the meeting room after the meeting, disposing of used flipchart pages, collecting unused materials and securing room if need be.
- Initiating the check-in.
- Verifying and setting topics for the meeting agenda with the group.
- Initiating and overseeing the group discussion / work time.
- Managing challenging participants with the help of the group.
- Using a flipchart to highlight discussion points and ensure at least one SMART tool is used at each meeting.
- Concluding the discussion with check-out and sign posting.
- Collecting donations.
The core tasks
The reputation and future success of SMART Recovery depends on facilitators that:
- Abide by the Facilitators code of conduct.
- Complete the authorised Facilitator and Champion Training.
- Register meetings with central office.
- Run meetings according to the SMART Recovery Meeting Structure.
- Ensure the Opening Statement is read out at every meeting.
- Share the Meeting Guidelines at every meeting.
If all facilitators cover these basic tasks, SMART Recovery will remain respected and effective.